Apple cider vinegar (ACV) and lemon juice are popular health remedies with numerous benefits for the body. But have you ever considered drinking a mix of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice before bed? This article explores the potential benefits of consuming this drink before bedtime, backed by scientific research.
What are some of the ailments that ACV and lemon juice have been traditionally used to treat?
ACV and lemon juice have been used for centuries as natural remedies to cure ailments such as colds, sore throats, and indigestion. However, recent studies suggest that drinking a mix of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice before bed may have numerous health benefits.
Benefits of Drinking ACV and Lemon Juice Before Bed
The benefits of consuming apple cider vinegar and lemon juice before bed are numerous. Some potential advantages include:
- Improves digestion: The acidic properties of ACV and lemon juice can help improve digestion and relieve bloating and indigestion.
- Aids in weight loss: Drinking a mix of ACV and lemon juice before bed may help boost metabolism and promote weight loss.
- Lowers blood sugar levels: A study in the Journal of Diabetes Research found that consuming apple cider vinegar before bedtime can lower the blood sugar levels of people with type 2 diabetes.
- Reduces inflammation: Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar contain antioxidants that can reduce inflammation in the body, potentially decreasing the risk of chronic conditions like cancer and heart disease.
- Promotes healthy skin: Lemon juice’s vitamin C and the antibacterial features of apple cider vinegar aid skin health and lower acne and other skin disorders risk.
The Science Behind ACV and Lemon Juice Before Bed
The combination of ACV and lemon juice before bed may work together to promote better health. Lemon juice contains high levels of vitamin C, antioxidants, and citric acid, which can help improve digestion and promote healthy skin. Meanwhile, apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which has been shown to lower blood sugar levels and reduce inflammation.
When consumed together, these two ingredients may have a synergistic effect on the body, working together to provide numerous health benefits.
How to Make the ACV and Lemon Juice Drink Before Bed
To reap the benefits of this health remedy, it’s important to know how to make the drink properly. Here’s a simple recipe to make the ACV and lemon juice drink before bed:
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of honey (optional)
- 1 cup of warm water
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice in a cup.
- Add warm water to the mixture.
- Stir in honey, if desired.
- Drink the mixture before bedtime.
Note: It’s important to dilute apple cider vinegar before consuming it, as it can cause irritation to the throat and esophagus if consumed undiluted.
Best Time to Drink ACV and Lemon Juice
While there isn’t a specific time that is best to drink ACV and lemon juice, drinking it before bedtime may have additional benefits. Consuming the drink before bed may help improve digestion, reduce inflammation, and promote a better night’s sleep.
Precautions to Take
Although drinking apple cider vinegar and lemon juice at night can offer many health benefits, it’s crucial to take proper precautions to prevent any potential side effects.Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Dilute the ACV before consuming it to avoid irritation to the throat and esophagus.
- Start with small amounts of ACV and gradually increase the dosage to avoid stomach discomfort.
- If you have a history of acid reflux, it’s best to avoid consuming ACV before bed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I drink the mixture in the morning instead of before bed?
Yes, you can drink the ACV and lemon juice mixture in the morning instead of before bed. However, drinking it before bed may have additional benefits, such as improving digestion and promoting a better night’s sleep.
Can I add other ingredients to the mixture?
Yes, you can add other ingredients such as ginger or turmeric to the ACV and lemon juice mixture. These ingredients may have additional health benefits.
Adding apple cider vinegar and lemon juice to your nighttime routine could enhance digestion, regulate blood sugar levels, and assist with weight management. However, it’s important to dilute the apple cider vinegar and take precautions to avoid any potential side effects. As with any health remedy, it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your diet or health routine.
- Effect of apple cider vinegar on blood glucose level in diabetic mice. DOI:10.5681/PS.2015.006
- Shishehbor, F., Mansoori, A., & Sarkaki, A. R. (2018). Apple cider vinegar attenuates lipid profile in normal and diabetic rats. Pakistan journal of biological sciences: PJBS, 21(3), 150-154. DOI: 10.3923/pjbs.2008.2634.2638
- The effect of apple cider vinegar on lipid profiles and glycemic parameters, doi: 10.1186/s12906-021-03351-w
- Hlebowicz, J., Darwiche, G., Björgell, O., & Almér, L. O. (2007). Effect of apple cider vinegar on delayed gastric emptying in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a pilot study. BMC gastroenterology, 7(1), 46. DOI: 10.1186/1471-230X-7-46
- Hlebowicz, J., Hlebowicz, A., Lindstedt, S., & Björgell, O. (2008). Effects of 1 and 3 g cinnamon on gastric emptying, satiety, and postprandial blood glucose, insulin, glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide, glucagon-like peptide 1, and ghrelin concentrations in healthy subjects. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 87(5), 1430-1437. DOI: 10.3945/ajcn.2008.26807